Making a Smart Start with your Lawyer in a Divorce – Part 2
In our last blog post, “Making a Smart Start with your Lawyer in a Divorce – Part 1”, we covered two of the first steps to take when you’re beginning the process of separating from your spouse:
- Hire an attorney you trust.
- Inventory your marital assets.
In this second installment, we are focusing on child custody and the first steps to get started in this aspect of a divorce. At Woods & Matlock, we bring both compassion and efficiency to the table when we help you. Getting an attorney for child custody in McKinney, TX is your first step to a successful divorce. See how this guide can simplify the starting process. Remember meeting with a lawyer for a personalized comprehensive strategy plan is the only way to get good legal advice. This guide is meant to outline some of the common steps in the process.
One of the biggest things to remember in a divorce and child custody situation is strategy matters. You need to know very specifically what you want as an outcome, and what you’re able to negotiate about in a case. Your attorney will want to know your preferences and goals but also needs to have some flexibility when they meet with your spouse’s attorney to make agreements. For the child custody portion of the case, these are the starting steps:
- Make a plan for child custody. How do you want to spend time with your children? Start thinking about joint or sole conservatorship and schedules. Do you want to fight for sole custody or share custody with your spouse? Do you want to be the primary parent where kids spend most of the week with and alternate weekends? Would you rather switch each week?
- Talk to your spouse about their plans for the future. You should have a sense if your spouse will continue to live in the area near the children’s schools, relatives, and activities. If your spouse plans to move out of state, you need to think about how this will affect parenting time. You might send the kids to see your spouse during the summer. Or, they may not have a role in raising them. Avoid getting into an arguement, just try to gather a basic understanding of their plans. If talking to your spouse is too stressful, you can wait until negotiations with lawyers in the room to assist.
- Remember to stay calm. Your biggest goal in a child custody case is to make the best plans to take care of your children. To have the best outcome in your case, you need to keep your cool and stay out of emotional battles as much as possible.
We can help you make this process as smooth and easy as possible. The Woods & Matlock team has over 30 years experience in family law. Call us to get an attorney for child custody in McKinney, TX. Give us a call at 972-972-8820 for a brief free phone consultation now.